Have a Heart-Namibia Update: March 2022
AKI donors support Have a Heart-Namibia's Lifetime Care Program and the AKI-HaH Emergency Fund. Both have seen a lot of activity since we last reported in this AKI Blog post of November 2021.
In February, 69 dogs and 2 cats in Rehoboth, Kalkrand, and Stampriet benefited from AKI support for HaH's Lifetime Care Program. They all received booster vaccinations and parasite treatments. With parvovirus so prevalent in many Namibian towns now and lots of tick bite fever being found in dogs, it's more important than ever to stay current on vaccinations and get regular parasite preventatives.
The AKI-HaH Emergency Fund has helped so many cats and dogs already this year; the cases below are from January only. In a separate AKI Blog post, next month, we'll write about the many animals helped from February 2022 onward.
This male cat's owner brought him to HaH to be neutered after he got into a fight with another cat. But in addition to getting neutered (surgery costs covered by HaH), his injuries needed to be stitched up. The stitches and extra antibiotics, plus treating wounds on his legs, were all provided for thanks to the AKI-HaH Emergency Fund.
This is a sad story (sorry). Sandy belonged to a woman who also looks after 17 cats. Penny from the Rehoboth Vet Clinic had gotten in touch with HaH last year to get those cats sterilized. (Since then Penny has managed to have over 350 dogs and cats spayed/neutered through HaH!). Sandy was only 3 months old when she contracted parvo. Thanks to the Emergency Fund, the Rehoboth Vet Clinic was able to treat Sandy and she did much better for 2 days following her treatment. But then she went downhill fast and died. From Have a Heart's Geesche: "AKI gave the family hope and the feeling they did what they could do for Sandy. They loved her very much."
Stoney is a resident at an old age home in Rehoboth. He was neutered last year through HaH. In January, the caretakers at the old age home noticed Stoney was not his normal self, he was just laying around and not eating well. They took him to the Rehoboth Vet Clinic, where thanks to the Emergency Fund, he got a check up and the vet found out he had tick bite fever. Stoney was given antibiotics for 3 weeks and went back to the old age home, where he is much loved and everyone was happy he was back home!
Blackie from Rehoboth was spayed in 2013 via HaH. Then, in 2022, she got tick bite fever. Again, thanks to the Emergency Fund, Blackie was treated. But she was still having nose bleeds, so the vet decided to give her another 28 days on antibiotics and an injection and she was on the road to recovery.
Lady and Queeny are two sisters from Rehoboth. Their mom was spayed through HaH recently and they will also have their turn soon. Charlotte brought these two cute girls to the Rehoboth Vet Clinic after they had lost energy and appetites. Luckily they were brought in early enough and were still in fairly good condition. After a check up, the vet sent them home with antibiotics for a few days, expecting them to be back to their normal happy selves in no time.
This cat from Rehoboth was neutered and the very next day he had a fight with another cat. His owner brought him back to the clinic to get the wound on his face treated. From Geesche: "Without AKI he would not have had a chance to see a vet, his wound could have gotten infected and the owner - not able to pay for his treatment - would have had no way to pay for vet care, he would have been sent away without getting any help. This would have been devastating for the cat, the owner, and the clinic team. Thank you so much AKI for making the world a better place for so many people by helping a cat!"
Tokkie is named after a beetle in Namibia. But this is another sad story, this little girl is no longer with us. Tokkie from Rehoboth was brought to the vet clinic because she was very sick. Tokkie had a lot of fleas and ticks, was never vaccinated, and the owner had no money. The vet suspected distemper, something easy to treat in early stages and every dog spayed through HaH is vaccinated against it. But for Tokkie it was too late (to prevent further suffering, she was euthanized, thanks to the AKI Emergency Fund). Geesche always looks for the positive, and said, "In this case, the owner of Tokkie now knows there is help through the AKI Emergency Fund, and he will talk about it to friends and family and if he will get another dog, he knows where to go when help is needed and for a spay or neuter and parasite treatment and vaccination. So because of Tokkie other dogs and cats will be helped in future."
This is another sad story, but also another story where the Emergency Fund was able to prevent more suffering. This poor cat broke her jaw and the family came to the Rehoboth clinic crying and asking for help. Of course the Emergency Fund was put to use. But x-rays showed there was nothing that could be done. HaH and AKI would have supported the cat and the family with surgery, but the vet felt that in this case, euthanizing was the most humane thing to do. From Geesche: "She was put to sleep surrounded by her family. And again I'm sad and also in tears for the cat and her family and I know I said it many times, but helping this cat over the rainbow bridge did not only prevent her from suffering unnecessary, it also helped the family. Of course they are very sad and they miss their cat, but imagine loving an animal and having to see it suffer - what a nightmare. Thanks to AKI they had a place to go where they could ask for help and make sure their beloved pet was not suffering anymore. AKI in Namibia is also helping so many caring people!"
Neusie is also from Rehoboth. (Rehoboth is a rough place-for animals and people alike. We're thankful for Penny, the Rehoboth Vet Clinic, and that HaH can be so active there). Neusie (Afrikaans for "Little Nose") was spayed last year. Neusie had a wound on her upper rear leg and her owner asked the Rehoboth Clinic for help. Again, the Emergency Fund was put to use. Neusie was checked out by a vet and it turned out the small wound was a maggot worm and it burst inside causing an internal abscess! Neusie was booked in for the night and in the morning, the vet sedated her and put a drain in to remove the pus. Neusie stayed another night at the clinic, but then went home to recover -and is now 100% healthy!
We'll bring you more AKI-HaH Emergency Fund cases next month!